Go Back   Overseas Filipino Worker Forum > News, Politics, Business and Investment > Business and Entrepreneurship
Member Log In
Non-Member Registration
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Photo Gallery Arcade Games Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Top 10 Most Successful Filipino entrepreneurs?

Business and Entrepreneurship Thread, Top 10 Most Successful Filipino entrepreneurs? in News, Politics, Business and Investment; Here's what I think, entrepreneurship is probably not the most notable virtue of Filipino culture and socienty. In addition, high ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 621
Comments: 21
Recipes: 1
Default Top 10 Most Successful Filipino entrepreneurs?

Here's what I think, entrepreneurship is probably not the most notable virtue of Filipino culture and socienty.

In addition, high taxes, tough regulations, difficult and extremely costly financing, widely existing monopoly of different kinds, poor execution of laws and rules in business actitivies, the political influence on business at all levels...

That's why in the Philippines, many, if not most of those successful entrepreneurs were born rich. While what they have achived is still very much admirable, the more adirable are those who were not born rich, but still made it to the top, and significantly changed their lives, and many others'. Their stories of success tell more about the spirit of Filipino entrepreneurship. As said by one of those most successful and inspiring Filipino entrepreneur, PLDT Chair Manuel Pangilinan:

"I was born poor, but poor was not born in me. And it shouldn’t be born in you either. You can make it. Whatever you may wish to do with your future, you can make it. It gets dark sometimes, but morning comes always. Challenges breed character. Character breeds faith. In the end, faith will not disappoint. You must not disappoint."

What I understand from his quote is, no matter how difficult the situation is, there are always opportunities out there. You just need to go ahead and keep trying, and in the end you will be rewarded by your own effort.

So Manuel Pangilinan made one of the Top 10 most successful Filipino entrepreneurs on my list.

Who are on your list?
Alt Today
MabuhayCity
OFW Community

Registered Members: 61,303
Forum Photo Gallery: 3,193
Comments: 1,013

Old 07-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 4
Comments: 9
Default Re: Top 10 Most Successful Filipino entrepreneurs?

Lucio Tan, Henry Sy, George Ty and John Gokongwei - shouldn't they make the list?

I don't know the full stories of them but I have an impression their parents are all poor immigrants from Fujian province of China so they were born empty handed.

I admire Lucio Tan's turnaround of Philippine Airlines when PAL seemed hopeless. The turnaround of PAL is a remarkable story. Only someone who is risk-taking, decisive and with long term view would be to take over an airline which seemed doomed. To me that's the spirit of entrepreneurship.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 495
Comments: 10

In December 2006, President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo awarded five overseas Filipino workers who were also successful entrepreneurs. She only awarded Top 5. Here's the name of these OFW entrepreneurs:

Agnes Marrero (Mt. Province)

Mrs. Marrero now manages a family resort, a dry goods store and a banana plantation in Tadian, Mt. Province. A mother of four, she worked as a domestic helper in Hong Kong for 15 years.

Eugenio Tayag (Tuguegarao City)

A medical doctor, Mr. Tayag now has a farm and a ranch in Tuguegarao, while at at the same time working as the City Health Officer of Tuguegarao. Dr. Tayag previously worked in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Consuelo Valencia (London)

Mrs. Valencia became a successful businesswoman by setting up remittance, freight and travel services, in addition to venturing into the sales of phone cards and real estate and recruitment and publishing house business. Mrs. Valencia was a domestic drudge in London.

Michael Abubakar (Sulu)

A civil engineer, Mr. Abubakar came home to build homes for the homeless in conflict-stricken Sulu. He worked in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for 27 years.

Norma Macalindong (Batangas)

Mrs. Macalindog succesfully ventured into selling Filipino food and products in Rome, Italy. She previously worked in Rome as a parttime domestic helper cleaning several houses in a day.

To me, those OFW entrepreneur are as much admirable as Lucio Tan as they are one of us.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0

As long as you have the will, I think you will succeed. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Lucio Tan was definitely not rich at one point. Look where he is right now. Anyone can be somebody. best advise.. Dont give up..
Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up Re: Top 10 Most Successful Filipino entrepreneurs?

A book entitled NeGOsyo: Inspiring Stories of 50 Successful Filipino Entrepreneurs, by Joey Concepcion. The book has the individual stories of 50 Pinoy Entrepreneurs, with lessons highlighted by Professor Andy Ferreria. The 10 Most Inspiring Filipino Techno Entrepreneurs:

1. Diosdado Banatao (Computer Chips - Mostron and S3)
2. Nonoy & Ben Colayco (Online Gaming - Level Up)
3. Joey Gurango (Software Development - Webworks OS)
4. Danilo Manayaga (Biotechnology - Servac Philippines)
5. Dennis Mendiola (Wireless Technology - Chikka Asia)
6. Manny Pangilinan (Telecommunications - First Pacific, PLDT)
7. Dr. William Torres (RP Internet Pioneer - Mozcom)
8. Peter Valdes (software development - Vinta Systems)
9. Orlando Vea (Mobile Communications/New Media - SMART founder, MediaQuest)
10. Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala II (Diversified IT investing - iAyala)
Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Thumbs up OFW entrepreneur story

One of By Joey Concepcion's story on OFW entrepreneurs:

I have been writing for The Philippine STAR Business section for more than three years now, with my column entitled “Ask Go Negosyo,” which comes out every Thursday. For someone like me who was just an average student in English back in La Salle and who has never been fond of writing essays, I would say that it is a feat to accomplish more than 150 columns.

Sometimes, I wonder what my next story will be for the week. But ever since I started the Go Negosyo advocacy, I get inspiration from the many entrepreneurs who have succeeded and the Filipino cynicism that prevails in our society motivates me. The Doubting Thomases out there who feel that we are the basket case of Asia drive me to write positive news about our country and our economy.

A lot of people might agree that it is bad news that really sells. I guess this is another reason why I continue to write. “Tagumpay” will not replace my Business column. We will write more about positive things; about people who have triumphed over poverty, sharing why and how they did it; and about people who have encountered so many obstacles in their life and still continue to stand and remain optimistic about their future. We hope that Tagumpay will inspire more people to see the light and to realize that nothing is gained by cursing the government and complaining. Nothing will happen if people will just wait for the government to improve. Hopefully, this column will make more people take control of their own destiny and do something about their life.

I would like to share real stories of ordinary people, who strive for a better life for themselves and their family. Regarded as our modern heroes, OFWs sacrifice their time for family in order to work abroad. Let me share with you the story of two remarkable OFW entrepreneurs and I hope that those who are about to give up will continue to try and try again.

Go Negosyo has encountered an inspiring tagumpay story of a former OFW we recently awarded in Davao. Her name is Myrna Padilla. She is the founder and president of Mynd Consulting and Management Services — a major player in the BPO industry in Davao.

The eldest of six children, Myrna was born to a fisherman and a housewife. They struggled to raise a family of eight in a small fishing village. At the age of eight, Myrna would dive 10 to 15 feet to gather wild seaweed and shellfish under the coral. She would sell them in the market and would give half of her profit to her mother. The other half, she would spend to buy pen and paper for school. Myrna also recalls the many nights that her family would sleep with empty stomachs.

Myrna worked her way through high school. After graduation, she tried her luck in Manila with the intention of working abroad. After doing odd jobs in the Philippines, Myrna also endured 15 years of working as an OFW in three different countries. She was also able to take short technical courses in basic IT and computer secretariat during her days off.

In 2006, she had to undergo throat and thyroid surgery. Myrna decided to go back home to the Philippines for the surgery and stay for good. Back home, she started her own IT-related business with her life savings. Three years later, she has come a long way from her diving days. Myrna is a true model for OFWs all over the world.

I encountered another inspiring OFW tagumpay story from last year’s Citi Microentrepreneur of the Year Award. I was one of the judges. During the deliberation, I came to know about the entrepreneurial journey of Mang Lino.

Elino Andres, fondly known as Mang Lino, used to work as an overseas Filipino worker in the Middle East with his wife. In 2001, he was diagnosed with a rare and incurable form of blood cancer that deteriorates and weakens the body. This was when they returned to their home in Batangas.

With his sickness, he commuted back and forth from Nasugbu to the Philippine General Hospital in Manila. The expenses for travel already became a burden on Mang Lino’s family. For months, he endured the continuous tests and treatments. As the medical expenses were hurting him as much as his disease, Mang Lino then qualified for a foreign foundation grant
that funded his medication requirements.

For his wife and son, despite his condition, Mang Lino tried selling fish at the local market or working as a jeepney driver for income. He was able to observe as his innate ability to listen to his customers surfaced. He also ventured into selling eggs and participated in a promotion campaign by a major food and beverage company. Mang Lino was then loaned a motorcycle with a sidecar. Since he was restricted to selling the company’s products, he returned the sidecar and customized his own. With more grocery items and his egg supply, Mang Lino was able to set up his own rolling store, which generated more sales.

Mang Lino’s next move was his “Text Mo, Deliver Ko” service. His regular customers would text him their specific orders from the public market and grocery, and he would then deliver them along with his eggs and other regular grocery items. Mang Lino’s system allows him to minimize his working capital and the need to further increase his inventory. This business enabled him to qualify for a loan from a rural bank. He used the loan to set up a small convenience store to complement his rolling store. As his business progressed, he later ventured into the artificial insemination
of pigs.

At 62 years old, he takes pride in one of his greatest achievements — education for his son, who finished Nursing. He feels blessed with the continuous medical support from the foreign foundation, the financial support from the rural bank, and the emotional support he receives from his family, friends, community and customers. He takes pride in overcoming his challenges, providing education for his son, and in raising a firm family.

Myrna and Mang Lino are indeed modern heroes. Their journeys are proof that nothing is impossible with the strong determination to succeed against poverty. They are only two of the countless OFWs all over the world who are struggling to provide a better future for their family. Myrna and Mang Lino are not ashamed of what they had to go through in order to survive. They are proud of both their accomplishments and struggles in life, which lead them to reach for tagumpay mula sa kahirapan.

To the OFWs out there and to those returning home to be with their families this Christmas, I do hope that this story will inspire you to plan for your future. One day, at the right time, you too can start your own negosyo and prove that Filipinos are not destined to be poor.

I am the egg man: Elino Andres, fondly known as Mang Lino, with his rolling grocery store
Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 95
Comments: 7
Thumbs up How OFWs can become entrepreneurs

The article from GMANews

There is a growing trend for entrepreneurship among Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs). A lot of OFWs are seeing the merit of investing their savings on a business venture or two. Some successful OFW inventors find themselves well-off enough that they can live comfortably without having to work abroad again. The idea of not having to leave the country for work again is the main reason why a lot of OFWs are drawn into entrepreneurship.

The OFW’s Role in the Philippine Economy

The OFW plays a very integral role in the Philippine economy. The remittances sent by OFWs is important in fueling the Philippine economy – even more than the earnings of Philippine based workers. In fact, the Philippines is the second largest source of migrant workers in the world. OFWs either go out of the country to work as professionals or as blue-collared workers. But, it doesn’t matter what their profession is, they still contribute big.

Exploring OFW Entrepreneurship

Before jumping head on into anything, it is important to test the water first. The same goes for OFW entrepreneurs. Before deciding to invest their whole life’s savings into a business venture, they must first find out if the business is indeed worth it. A good way to figure this out is to interview other OFWs who have ventured into the same business themselves.

Seed Money

Seed money, also known as the capital is important when starting a business. This factor will dictate how big and how far the OFW can go in his/her business venture will be. Going into business without enough seed-money is unwise. You could end up digging into your savings - it could even lead to bankruptcy.

Slow and Steady It Goes

The main reason why some OFW entrepreneurs fail in their business venture is that they start with a big bang – without any plans of where they will go after that. Some entrepreneurs (OFW or not) find that starting slow is Key. A slow and steady start usually ensures a brighter business future. In example, an OFW who wants to venture into banana or rice farming could start out by becoming a stockholder or an associate. They could also learn the tricks of the trade by attaching themselves to plantation owners. They could also work as intermediaries between the farmer and customers.

As the OFW gains more much needed skills. He/she could later on venture into owning his/her own banana plantation. This time the OFW already knows the tricks of trade. He/she will have established important business relationships that can help the business grow. And he/she will be able to handle problems easier –something an amateur will have problems with.

But, it is also important to keep in mind that starting slow is not for everybody. It may be considered a wise move that ensures market success. But, there are a lot entrepreneurs who started big, remained big and got even bigger. It all depends on the situation and on the courage of the OFW involved.

Growth

Any entrepreneur will tell you that one of their biggest aims (aside from profit) is growth. Futile is the business that remains the same what for years and years with no signs of growth anywhere. Even the lowliest bakery or sari-sari store has the opportunity for growth – no matter how little. The important thing is that the business is handled well and the entrepreneurs involved do aim for growth.

But, how is growth represented? How do you know that your business has grown? It’s fairly simple. If you find your profits growing more and more each quarter or each year, then you have achieved success and growth. However, that growth should be effectively channeled into something worthwhile. It may be tempting to use it to improve lifestyle practices (there’s nothing wrong with that) but growth should always be in the background. Expanding the business, buying more land or creating satellite establishments are examples of how growth is materialized.

Growth and Trend

Growth and trend go hand in hand. In order to achieve success, an OFW entrepreneur must know what sells. If you are in the clothing business, you know that classic and trendy styles are what sell the most. The same goes for other types of businesses. A preschool for example, if school heads notice that a ‘Montessori’ type of education is growing – he/she should then consider opening their own Montessori program.

Determining what are ‘classics’ is important too. Classics are the products or services that customers constantly go to – no matter the trend. In fashion for example, the color black is considered a classic – it never goes out of style. As opposed to chartreuse or hot pink – those colors are considered trendy and customer preference for them comes and goes
Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 495
Comments: 10
Default Pinoy rises from janitor to world class restaurateur

Pinoy rises from janitor to world class restaurateur

By Niña Corpuz, ABS-CBN News
07/16/2010

How one Filipino won the unforgiving taste buds of the Italians
TURIN, Italy – Make no mistake about it, Italians know their food well. So how the heck did one Filipino win the hearts (and stomachs) of a nation that perfected pasta and pizza? Well, give them sushi.

Arthur Aala opened his first Japanese restaurant, Ohashi, in 2002. He is now the owner of 6 Japanese restaurants. Two of them are solely his, while he co-owns the other 4 with his Filipino buddies.

A framed certificate recognizing the quality of their food is proudly displayed in one of his restaurants, Osaka. It was awarded to the restaurant by the Il Gotha del Gusto International Press Association, which has a membership of 300 food critics worldwide.

Aala believes the quality of food and service in his restaurants is the reason why customers keep coming back.

“I actually learned it from the Italians. I always make sure we serve high quality food that only gets better. If not, we lose customers. Every single plate has to be very good and must also look good,” said Aala.

It’s hard to imagine that this restaurateur who drives a Porsche was once a janitor in Saudi Arabia. Aala was only 19 years old, the eldest of 4 children, when he decided to leave the Philippines with the dream of giving his family a better future.

This paid off and he was able to build a house for his family in Batangas. But Aala is no stranger to hard work: he recalled that as boy, he helped his father who was a fisherman in Batangas. He then worked for a bakery after high school.

At the age of 28, Arthur moved to Italy and worked as a construction worker in Rome.

“My life in Italy was the hardest. You name it, I’ve done it -- construction worker, painter, domestic worker, pandesal maker, chicharon maker. Then one day, I landed a job in a Japanese restaurant in Torino,” he recalled.

From being a part-time waiter, Aala became a sushi man. When he realized he had learned enough about running a Japanese restaurant, he decided to open up his own.

“I saw so many Chinese businessmen putting up successful businesses. I asked myself, why can’t Filipinos?” he said.

He also wanted to uplift the image of Filipinos abroad, to be known as successful businessmen and not just blue-collar workers. But Aala also employs an all-Filipino staff and is glad to be able to give them a job.

“Even in times of crisis, even if the restaurant’s income is small, we keep them with us and give them what is due. I’ve been through what they’ve been through so I treat them right and with respect,” said Aala.

Aala is not the only successful businessman in Turin. He shares his success with his Filipino partners who are also his friends.

“We are like brothers. It’s normal to have differences sometimes but the key is not to get personal and not to let it affect our restaurant business,” said Aala.

One of his partners, Teddy Cruz, believes fate brought them together. Before they worked together, Cruz had asked Aala to be the godfather of his child. It was during the baptism that Aala and Cruz talked about putting up another Japanese restaurant.

“If not for Arthur, I wouldn’t be in this business,” said Cruz.

Cruz used to be a building administrator. He now drives a BMW.
Rodrigo Cruz, another partner who was also a godfather to Cruz’s child, said they wouldn’t have made it if they didn’t have each other.

“Our friendship is deep. It’s not perfect, that’s why understanding each other, and sometimes giving in to the other is important. We won’t succeed if we rely on our human emotions, I believe that God is guiding us that is why we are still standing,” explained Rodrigo Cruz.

The 3 aren’t resting on their laurels. They’ve opened a new restaurant in the busy central district of Turin.

Okinawa Sushi Bar has a concept different from their other restaurants – it doubles as an art gallery, with paintings of up-and-coming Italian artists hanging on its walls.

Of course, the food is still top priority, and the owners promise to give the same quality Japanese cuisine as the old favorites, Osaka and Ohashi. Yes, they still employ an all-Filipino staff just like in their other restaurants. But for this venture, the trio decided to get Italian partners. The 3, however, still run the show.

According to Aala, Filipinos shouldn’t think the only opportunities for them abroad are in menial work.

“If you have something to show, show it, speak up. You have to be a fighter. Never think you are lower than them because if you do, they will think the same of you,” he said.

Aala’s recipe for success is as simple as the ingredients in Japanese cuisine.

“To be successful, it’s not enough to be hard-working. You have to have a lot of patience and perseverance. If a storm comes, you have to get up and continue what you started,” he said.

Aala may have come a long way, but he says his journey hasn’t ended. He’s still on the lookout for more opportunities for himself and his kababayans. And, while he humbly says that he doesn’t consider himself successful, he hopes that in his own little way, he can prove that the Filipino is indeed world class.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 26
Comments: 4
Thumbs up Re: Top 10 Most Successful Filipino entrepreneurs?

I think most of the Top 10 richest Filipinos started from scratch so they should be the most successful Filipino entrepreneurs.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0

You can be successful entrepreneur. Just set you goal and work for it.
OFW Community