Go Back   Overseas Filipino Worker Forum > Working or Living Abroad > Pinoy Entertainers' Corner
Member Log In
Non-Member Registration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Photo Gallery Arcade Games Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filipino bands in China

Pinoy Entertainers' Corner Thread, Filipino bands in China in Working or Living Abroad; + YouTube Video ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed. + ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 554
Comments: 22
Recipes: 1
Default Filipino bands in China

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Alt Today
MabuhayCity
OFW Community

Registered Members: 48,884
Forum Photo Gallery: 2,399
Comments: 991

Bahaytalaan.ph - Azure Beach Resort Condo listed by Klaudia Koronel
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 293
Comments: 15
Default Seven Days: Pinoy band gaining popularity in China

By MARK JOSEPH UBALDE, GMANews.TV
01/29/2008

While Seven Days is yet to ring a bell in the local music industry, the group has been making waves in China, especially after having been the only Pinoy band invited to perform on Chinese national television for a Spring Festival program on February 7.

Seven Days, as its name suggests, is a band with seven members: vocalists, Ace Llorente, 27, Jennifer Rosal, 24, and Honey Alba, 19; guitarist Ariel Pambid, 29; bassist Allan Oliva, 27; drummer Moses Domingo, 29; and keyboardist Ronnie ‘Onnie’ Castillo, 30, also the band’s leader.
While alluding to the Lord’s holy days of work (and rest), Onnie explained that the band’s name is really a reinforcement of one of the group’s core values.

Formed in 2001, under the name “Zinjy," Seven Days is an “any day band," prepared to perform onstage with its compelling fusion of rock and R&B.
“People say we were better than the original singers of the songs we cover," Onnie told GMANews.TV in an interview.

And after performing in Yanji City’s Yanbian TV, it appears that Onnie’s boast has a ring of truth, at least in the Asian music scene where Pinoy talent has been unparalleled for years.

Pinoy support

The group never imagined it would land on Chinese television first than in the Philippines.

“We’re glad our dream to perform for television viewers was fulfilled," said Honey, “But we would be happier if we performed on Philippine television."
Jennifer, who was plucked by Onnie after winning a local karaoke TV singing competition here (before Ethel Booba), is doubly glad with the overwhelming Pinoy support for Seven Days, especially since most Filipinos abroad are more discerning with homegrown talents.

“Pinoys are harder to please. So an applause from them only confirms that you’re really good."

Last September, the group flew to China for a regular gig in one of the clubs there. After being noticed for its soulful and electrifying covers, the band was invited to perform for the Spring Festival (often dubbed the Chinese Christmas) special show on television.

Since 2006, the band has been performing from Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia to Jilin, China wowing crowds with covers from the Beatles and Elvis Presley classics to more contemporary songs from Usher and the Black Eyed Peas.
The band’s repertoire depends on what the audience likes.

As Jilin closely borders North Korea, they need to know a few Korean songs.

For its Yanbian TV performance, the band chose a popular Korean song to usher in the celebration of the Spring Festival.

So far, Seven Days has been warmly received by the Chinese and Korean communities, not to mention its supportive Filipino fans.

“As far as I know, there are only two kinds of Filipinos here [in Jilin City], those who work as entertainers, and the teachers," explained Onnie.
The band has also done much to spark interest among the otherwise oblivious Chinese in Jilin City about the Philippines that has been known for its excellent English teachers.

“We talked to a lot of people here who initially didn’t even have the slightest idea where the Philippines is. But when they saw us on TV, they went as far as searching for our country in the Internet, looking for pictures. They are now more interested in us."

And what do they miss the most about the Philippines? “Eat Bulaga! We promise to watch our favorites, ‘Bossing’ (Vic Sotto) and Joey de Leon, in the studio when we come home," Onnie said. - GMANews.TV
Old 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 4
Comments: 8

Wow, that's huge in China.

I never watched the Chinese Spring Festival Program when I was in China but I knew it's by far the biggest TV show that only happens once a year.

The regular Chinese performers would sleep with anyone or everyone to just get a chance to show up on this program because you would expect immediate popularity and contract after the event.

I am interested in knowing where this band is now.

I do have some interesting personal experiences with Pinoy bands in China and I will write a story about those bands when I have a chance.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0

Actually, filipino bands are well known for their singing and dancing talent. I have been travelling around Asia for more than 10 years, almost always, when I meet foreigners, they will tell you how talented the filipino bands are.
In my travels in China, most often, the bands that they hire are from the Philippines. There have been some cases where the band is from Indonesia and other countries, but they are not as entertaining as a filipino band.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 4
Comments: 8

I never watched the Chinese Spring Festival Program when I was in China but I knew it's by far the biggest TV show that only broadcasts once a year.

The regular Chinese performers would just do anything to get a chance to show their face on this program because you would expect immediate popularity and contract after the event.

So to me this is a very impressive achievement of this Pinoy band. They must be very good.

I am going to write the stories about my own experience with Pinoy bands in China
Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0
Default dodong

salamat po sa pagpost ng interview sa amin ng GMANEWS.tv...masayang masaya po kami...ngayon po anditio kami sa south korea...pede niyo po ako makontak sa email add ko onnie7days@yahoo.com at sa ym po yan din po gamit ko....salamat po
Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 37
Comments: 1
Exclamation Re: Filipino bands in China

Saan kayo sa Korea mga igan? nakarating na ako dyan tatlong beses.Medyo di ako nakapasyal sa mga bar dyan.Puro sa City lang.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 21
Comments: 2
Default Re: Filipino bands in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuhay View Post
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
Fairly common scene in China these days
OFW Community