Go Back   Overseas Filipino Worker Forum > Working or Living Abroad > Pinoys in Europe
Member Log In
Non-Member Registration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Photo Gallery Arcade Games Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filipina Women Rank High in Danish Abortion Statistics

Pinoys in Europe Thread, Filipina Women Rank High in Danish Abortion Statistics in Working or Living Abroad; ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 293
Comments: 15
Recipes: 1
Exclamation Filipina Women Rank High in Danish Abortion Statistics

7/7/2010 - The desire to marry a Danish man can have dramatic consequences for Filipina au pairs in Denmark. These women are overrepresented in the statistics of late abortions in Denmark

A lot of au pairs dream of permanent residency in Denmark and one of the ways to obtain this is by marrying a Danish man. A new study by Avisen.dk and Ugebrevet A4 shows this.

However, some Filipina au pairs wrongly believe that sleeping with a Danish man means that he wants to marry her.

“They come from a culture where the norm is that if they sleep with someone, they have found a husband who wants to provide for them,” says Hans Henrik Lund, who is the leader of the Churches’ Integration Services (KIT).

Feel forced to abort
The organization has contact with most of the Filipina au pairs in Denmark – including many who want to know where they can get an abortion.

If they get pregnant when they are still unmarried, they feel that they have no other choice than to get an abortion. If not, they can be deported and risk a life without any stability in the Philippines.

”The women cannot understand the idea that the man doesn’t want anything to do with them – or the baby,” Hans Henrik Lund says.

Three late abortions in June
The Filipina women often have late abortions – that is when the fetus is aborted after the 12th week of pregnancy, which is normally the limit in Denmark.

The latest numbers from the Abortion Council in the area around Copenhagen show that one out of 20 women who had a late abortion was from the Philippines.

In June alone, the Abortion Council approved of three late abortions for Filipina women. This is approximately 10 percent of the 30 approvals that were given that month.

Deported to insecurity
Social worker Mette Lise Petersen from the Abortion Council in Copenhagen is the one who talks to the women who apply for late abortions.

”There is a group of young Filipina women who have very little knowledge of birth control. They hide their pregnancies from their host families because they know that if they have a baby, their contacts will be cancelled, and then their visa will be withdrawn, which then leads to deportation and returning to an unstable existence,” she says.

She says that it is difficult for the women to hide their pregnancies and when they have the appointment to have the abortion done, it is also hard to explain why they are unable to work for those 24 hours that they are in hospital.

Ashamed
”They are often shy and religious women, who are very unhappy and afraid of being sent home where the surroundings won’t look at them as decent girls anymore. They are embarrassed about their pregnancies,” Mette Lise Petersen says.

The pregnant Filipina women she has spoken to have very poor social conditions. They have a poor financial situation, a small social network, and they do not have their own place to live – if they give birth, they will be deported. That is why they are approved to get late abortions.

”The family in the home country can’t know about the pregnancy either. Sexuality is a tabu for them and it is difficult for them to talk about it. Often they have been too afraid to tell anyone else about their situation,” Mette Lise Petersen explains.

ScandAsia.Com - Filipina Women Rank High in Danish Abortion Statistics
Alt Today
MabuhayCity
OFW Community

Registered Members: 48,884
Forum Photo Gallery: 2,399
Comments: 991

Bahaytalaan.ph - Azure Beach Resort Condo listed by Klaudia Koronel
Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0
Default Re: Filipina Women Rank High in Danish Abortion Statistics

I am presently residing in Denmark. As I was reading the article, I was ashamed of myself. I had read from a Danish newspaper that the number of abortion cases in Denmark is getting high, but I did not have any idea that my fellow Filipinas had a great contribution on that. I used to tell to some of my Danish friends that abortion is illegal in the Philippines. Every time I tell it to them, they are surprised and usually ask me the reasons behind it. I usually tell them that it is rooted from our religion and cultural perspectives. I am wondering now how would those people whom I had talked to react when they would learn this shameful truth about other Filipinas. How would I defend myself and the whole Philippines if they interrogate me on this matter?

But what might be the deeper motives of those concerned Filipino ladies who committed abortion? Based on my observations, it might be caused by the following:

1. False Love

It may sound annoying for us Filipinos but there are really some who are here in Denmark to search for a husband. And this fact is not new to the vocabulary of the Danish people. So there are some of them who are taking advantage to the situation. They are courting foreign ladies especially Filipinas and promising them marriage. However, sad to say, there are some who aspire for an adventure only. They break the relationship off usually after having sex and getting a lady pregnant.

2. To Get a Residence Permit

The easiest way to get a residence permit in Denmark is family reunification. In other words to get a husband is the most effective passport to get a visa. Sometimes, it is very easy for other ladies to fall to the charm of a Danish man because of their desire to stay here temporarily and in the long run permanently. Many ladies have the perception that if they get pregnant, it would trigger the Danish men to marry them. But most of the time, it happens the opposite.

3. Cultural Outlook

There are many Filipinas who are in a relationship to a Danish man because of love. Considering the cultural background of the Danes, it is normal to have sex to their girls. Since some Filipinas are still a little bit naïve on sex due to our culture and religion influences, they lack knowledge on safe sex methods. This sometimes leads to pregnancy. And if a Danish man is not yet fully all set for a commitment, abortion becomes a common resort to solve the problem. Society can not question you on morality if you do this because abortion is legal in Denmark.

I don’t agree on the idea of abortion. It is very unlawful in the eyes of God. But I don’t have the right to judge those who had committed abortion. It was their choice. I only wish that they would learn from their mistakes and never do the same errors again.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 1
Comments: 1

So I guess this might be one of the reason why Denmark has one of the lowest birth rates, they just abort any unwanted children. Anyway, I learned from one Danish customer whom I met back in the Philippines that due to low birth rate, the government offers incentives to those couples who have children. The more children you have, the more incentives you get and there comes a number of children where you dont' really need to work because the government is like paying you a full-time job of being parents.

Ewan ko ba, sa sobrang hirap yata sa Pilipinas at sa pagiging attractive ng mga puti para sa mga Pinay, napakadaling bumigay ng kababayan natin. At kung nabuntisan, di na alam ang gagawin.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimin_baay View Post
So I guess this might be one of the reason why Denmark has one of the lowest birth rates, they just abort any unwanted children. Anyway, I learned from one Danish customer whom I met back in the Philippines that due to low birth rate, the government offers incentives to those couples who have children. The more children you have, the more incentives you get and there comes a number of children where you dont' really need to work because the government is like paying you a full-time job of being parents.

Ewan ko ba, sa sobrang hirap yata sa Pilipinas at sa pagiging attractive ng mga puti para sa mga Pinay, napakadaling bumigay ng kababayan natin. At kung nabuntisan, di na alam ang gagawin.

Abortion is legal, but pregnant women cannot just undergo abortion in accordance to their own prescription and desire. They follow some strict medical procedures. But in fairness, there is a great number of Danish people who is against of this act. It means that subject to abortion is commonly based on one's perspective and conscience.

Yes, Denmark has a low birth rate. Actually, the total population only is 5.5 million. The 'children money' is not basically considered as an incentive to the parents. It is a form of help to the whole family, depending on the decision of the parents where they could spend the money. According to my conversations to some of my Danish friends, they deposit the money on their kids' bank account, which they will use when they would decide to live on their own. ( I think it is compulsary for a child in Denmark to have a bank account. And it is an obligation of the parents to deposit a certain amount to their kids' savings). The 'children money' is not only popular in Denmark, but also in other developing countries in Europe such as Norway and Sweden.
OFW Community