The remains of three overseas Filipino workers killed in a fire in the United Arab Emirates earlier this month were finally brought home to the Philippines.
Radio dzBB reported the remains of Krisleen Francisco, 32; Ariel Soberano, 30; and Renalyn Luna, 29, arrived aboard an Emirates flight at 10:30 p.m. Thursday.
Family members and officials of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and Pangasinan province were on hand to receive the remains at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said the fire that killed the three occurred at the Satwa area in Dubai last November 6.
"The three fatalities were asleep in one room together with two of the survivors, who managed to escape through the window," the DFA said, citing a report from Philippine Consul General Benito Valeriano.
It added three other Filipinos who were with them were also hurt. Two suffered minor injuries, while the third sustained second-degree burns in the face, back, arms and four toes and is now confined at the Surgical Intensive Care Unit of Al Rashid, the DFA said.
"When they woke up, the apartment's receiving room and kitchen were all in flames and no exit can be used," the DFA said.
A separate report on news site Bulatlat.com
said Francisco worked as a saleslady; Soberano a waiter and Luna a waitress.
Still recovering at the Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre is Reynald Luna, 32, a waiter who had his own accommodation and just spent the night at his cousins’ house, the Bulatlat report added. — LBG, GMANews.TV