Go Back   Overseas Filipino Worker Forum > Working or Living Abroad > Planning to Go Abroad, Visa & Immigration
Member Log In
Non-Member Registration
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Photo Gallery Arcade Games Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Skilled Migration to New Zealand

Planning to Go Abroad, Visa & Immigration Thread, Skilled Migration to New Zealand in Working or Living Abroad; Skilled Migration to New Zealand New Zealand has become increasingly popular for Filipino immigrants in recently years. In early 2004, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 621
Comments: 21
Recipes: 1
Default Skilled Migration to New Zealand

Skilled Migration to New Zealand

New Zealand has become increasingly popular for Filipino immigrants in recently years.

In early 2004, the entire Skilled Migration scheme for New Zealand was overhauled. The new Skilled Migrant Category (formerly called General Skills) has been designed to attract highly-skilled migrants to New Zealand, particularly in those industries and regions of New Zealand experiencing growth and skills shortages.

The Scheme has been designed to comprise two stages: the lodging of an Expression of Interest and the Invitation to Apply for Residency. These stages and the process involved are explained in more detail in the sections below.

Presently, you need to score a minimum of 100 points to be able to lodge an Expression of Interest. You will be guaranteed selection for application of residence if you score at least 140 points or you have an exisiting job offer.

Application process:
* Prerequisites
* Points System
* Expression of Interest Pool
* Invitation to apply for Residence
* Decision-making

Last edited by mabuhay : 07-28-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Alt Today
MabuhayCity
OFW Community

Registered Members: 61,303
Forum Photo Gallery: 3,193
Comments: 1,013

Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Skilled Migration to New Zealand - Prerequisites

Pre-requisites for residency

To be considered for immigration to New Zealand as a Skilled Migrant, you must meet the following pre-requisites and basic requirements before lodging an Expression of Interest.
  • you must be in good health
  • you must be of good character
  • you must have a reasonable standard of English
  • you must be under the age of 56 years
Furthermore you will need to meet the minimum threshold of 100 points to be able to lodge an Expression of Interest.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Skilled Migration to New Zealand - Points System

Points System

The New Zealand Skilled Migrant points system is designed to allow Expressions of Interest to be ranked in order so that the New Zealand Immigration authorities can make invitations to apply for residence to those migrants who can offer the most to New Zealand.

The points test and values are set out in more detail in our self-assessment points calculator, but in general, you can be allocated points for the following:
Old 07-28-2009, 02:05 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 95
Comments: 7
Default Re: Skilled Migration to New Zealand

New Zealand might be too much 'lonely' or 'boring' for some Filipinos.

New Zealanders themselves are leaving the country heading mostly to Australia. Read the following article published in 2008:

New Zealand migration to Australia at highest level since 1988
02 January 2008

New figures from Statistics New Zealand show that thousands of New Zealand citizens migrated to Australia during the year ending in November 2007. This figure was the highest net outflow to Australia since 1988.
The number of people coming to New Zealand for a stay at of at least 12 months was 82,600 in the year ending in November 2007. This was 300 less than the previous year ending in November 2006. During the year ending November 2007, 76,000 people left New Zealand, an increase of 7,800 from the year ending November 2006.

As a result, net long-term immigration to New Zealand was 6,600 in the year ending November 2007. This is down 14,800 from the year ending November 2006 and below the annual average recorded for the December years from 1990-2006.

Migration by Citizenship

There was a net inflow of 38,200 foreign citizens to New Zealand in the year ending November 2007, and a net outflow of 31,600 New Zealand citizens.

The majority of New Zealand citizens (27,800) went to Australia, the highest number since 1988, when 32,700 left permanently for Australia. The next most popular country was the United Kingdom (1,400), the United Arab Emirates (400), and Canada (also 400).
The majority of foreigners immigrating to New Zealand came from the United Kingdom, at 7,400. This number is down from the 11,300 that arrived in the year ending in November 2006. This number was followed by India (3,500), the Philippines (3,200), Fiji (2,400), South Africa (1,800), and China (1,700).

China led the number of migrants arriving in New Zealand during the years ending November 1996-2003, but the UK has been leading since that time.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 AM

Forum Photo Gallery: 4
Comments: 9

Could be a good thing for Filipinos who want to migrate to New Zealand.

If the Kiwis are leaving, we Pinoys can fill up the all the vacancies. Without population a country is doomed.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Forum Photo Gallery: 0
Comments: 0

Hi,

I created a blog http://newzealandskilledmigrant.blogspot.com/ to share with you true-to-life stories and experiences of myself and some of my co-New Zealand migrants. These stories that you are about to read are not intended to put you off but it is rather intended to inspire and motivate you in whatever stage you are at be it as an aspiring migrant in your initial stage of your application or those who are already here in NZ and are facing all sorts of challenges and difficulties especially around acquiring permanent residency.

These stories will also highlight each of our faults and mistakes that had an implication on the course of our application. May these wrongs and ‘should haves’ that we had guide you from not doing the same, hence, quickening your application process.

Each story has its own uniqueness and individual flavor. It is full of action, drama, and surprises. It also shows insurmountable faith in God and oneself. There were joyous triumphs, sad fate and mere experiences that provide the reader of its own point of reference.

I am wishing that through our little way we are able to help you in your journey to New Zealand or anywhere in the world.

Regards,
Andresito
New Zealand Skilled Migrant
Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Hello Andresito! Ni hao from China!

Thanks for sharing your views and innermost ideas regarding migration. This definitely will help most of our kababayan, much more, serve as an eye opener. However, I can't seem to open the site which you just listed which highlighted true-to-life blogs of migrating pinoys in New Zealand, maybe this is a China-policy thing,( you see we can't open Youtube and Facebook in this country) and my efforts to open it were to no avail.

In connection to this, I would like to express my interest in migrating to this country. I have been an OFW almost half of my life and I ,definitely, consider relocation (again?) Forgive me, but can you drop me a mail (aseanboyblue@yahoo.com) and enlighten my mind on the process and steps ( if it's not too much to ask).Thanks!

Hope to hear from you,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambcw View Post
Hi,

I created a blog New Zealand Skilled Migrant to share with you true-to-life stories and experiences of myself and some of my co-New Zealand migrants. These stories that you are about to read are not intended to put you off but it is rather intended to inspire and motivate you in whatever stage you are at be it as an aspiring migrant in your initial stage of your application or those who are already here in NZ and are facing all sorts of challenges and difficulties especially around acquiring permanent residency.

These stories will also highlight each of our faults and mistakes that had an implication on the course of our application. May these wrongs and ‘should haves’ that we had guide you from not doing the same, hence, quickening your application process.

Each story has its own uniqueness and individual flavor. It is full of action, drama, and surprises. It also shows insurmountable faith in God and oneself. There were joyous triumphs, sad fate and mere experiences that provide the reader of its own point of reference.

I am wishing that through our little way we are able to help you in your journey to New Zealand or anywhere in the world.

Regards,
Andresito
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Hi John,

I sent you an email..

Cheers

P.s. want to see the beautiful places to visit in new zealand? check here

newzealandadventure.tk
Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambcw View Post
Hi,

I created a blog New Zealand Skilled Migrant to share with you true-to-life stories and experiences of myself and some of my co-New Zealand migrants. These stories that you are about to read are not intended to put you off but it is rather intended to inspire and motivate you in whatever stage you are at be it as an aspiring migrant in your initial stage of your application or those who are already here in NZ and are facing all sorts of challenges and difficulties especially around acquiring permanent residency.

Regards,
Andresito

Hi Andresito,

I cant access the link you suggested (newzealandskilledmigrant.blogspot)I really want to read the experiences you stated in the blog because I will soon be holding a NZ student visa and planning to upgrade it to working the permanent resident. Is this feasible sir?

Thanks,

Raymund
Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Hi Raymund,

Please cut and paste this link to your browser.

New Zealand Skilled Migrant: My Journey to New Zealand

Cheers
Andre
OFW Community